Are you renting and looking for an affordable way to buy your first home?
One of the biggest challenges families face in owning a home is saving for a down payment. Habitat for Humanity removes this barrier through our affordable home ownership program.
This means you can buy a home of your own with no down payment, no interest, and monthly mortgage payments guaranteed to be no more than 25% of your monthly income.
We currently have starter homes for sale in several communities. See where you can own.
Basic qualification criteria:
- Minimum employment income of $35,000 per year (dependent on location).
- Maximum total household income dependent on family size.
- Have children under the age of 18.
- At least one member of the household working full-time (35 hours per week).
- Consistent full-time work history for the past two years.
- Do not currently own real estate.
- Have lived in the city or town that you are applying for at least two years.
- All family members are Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Willing to volunteer 500 hours.
- No debt in Collections.
- Minimum $2,000 in chequing, savings or RRSP accounts to demonstrate strong savings behaviour and for closing costs.
- Consumer Proposal must be in final year. Considered on case-by-case basis.
- Balance of debt and mandatory monthly payments on debt are taken into consideration.
How to buy your Habitat for Humanity home
- Take the Eligibility Quiz
- Watch the Online Information Session
- Submit an Application