Are you renting and looking for an affordable way to buy your first home?
One of the biggest challenges families face in owning a home is saving for a down payment. Habitat for Humanity removes this barrier through our affordable home ownership program.
This means you can buy a home of your own with no down payment, no interest, and monthly mortgage payments no more than 25 to 30 percent of your family's gross eligible income.
We currently have starter homes for sale in several communities. See where you can own.
Basic qualification criteria:
- Minimum employment income of $35,000 per year (dependent on location).
- Maximum total household income dependent on family size.
- Have children under the age of 18.
- At least one member of the household working full-time (35 hours per week).
- Consistent full-time work history for the past two years.
- Do not currently own real estate.
- Have lived in the city or town that you are applying for at least two years.
- All family members are Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Willing to volunteer 500 hours.
- No debt in Collections.
- Minimum $2,000 in chequing and/or savings accounts to demonstrate savings behaviour and for closing costs.
- Consumer Proposal must be in final year. Considered on case-by-case basis.
- Balance of debt and mandatory monthly payments on debt are taken into consideration.
How to buy your Habitat for Humanity home
- Take the Eligibility Quiz
- Watch the Online Information Session
- Submit an Application