Are you renting and looking for an affordable way to buy your first home?
One of the biggest challenges families face in owning a home is saving for a down payment. Habitat for Humanity removes this barrier through our affordable mortgage.
This means you can buy a home of your own with no down payment, no interest, and monthly payments guaranteed to be no more than 25% of your monthly income.
We currently have starter homes for sale in several communities. See where you can own.
Basic qualification criteria:
- Minimum employment income of $40,000 per year (dependent on location).
- Maximum total household income dependent on family size.
- Have children under the age of 18.
- At least one member of the household working full-time (35 hours per week).
- Consistent full-time work history for the past two years.
- Do not currently own real estate.
- Have lived in the city or town that you are applying for at least two years.
- All family members are Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- No debt in Collections.
- Minimum $2,000 in chequing, savings or RRSP accounts to demonstrate strong savings behaviour.
- Consumer Proposal must be in final year. Considered on case-by-case basis.
- Balance of debt and mandatory monthly payments on debt are taken into consideration.
Three steps to buying your home
1. Take the Eligibility Quiz
Take our short Eligibility Quiz to see if you meet the basic criteria to buy a home through Habitat for Humanity.
2. Attend an Information Session
Learn more about how our program works and if it would be a good fit for your family.
3. Submit an Application
Get approved to buy a home!