Last updated: March 24, 2020
Dear Habitat friends and supporters,
As the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to have an increased impact in our community, we are reviewing our practices and activities to ensure we can continue to have safe spaces to work, build and shop.
We are all feeling the effects of this worldwide health concern. We appreciate that we are an amazing team with incredible supporters, and this is an opportunity for us to support each other with patience, empathy and an offer to help whenever possible.
This is a rapidly evolving situation so we will be posting regular updates to keep us all informed about how to continue our important work of helping Alberta families achieve their dreams of home ownership.
We are currently following the guidance of Alberta Health and Health Canada in our operational decisions.
- Effective March 16, 2020, Habitat for Humanity Southern Alberta’s head office in Calgary is closed to visitors.
- Staff are working remotely where possible and remain available to support you, our volunteers, donors, homeowners and partners, via phone and email.
- Effective March 22, the Calgary North and South ReStores stores are closed to the public until April 6. This will be reevaluated regularly.
- Effective March 23, the Medicine Hat ReStore will operate with reduced hours, from 12 pm to 5 pm, Monday through Saturday.
- We will be increasing our posts on Facebook and Instagram to showcase the items we have in stock and both locations and to update you on any temporary changes to our hours.
- Residential donation pick-ups have been postponed until further notice.
- Corporate donation pick-ups will continue for the time being.
- Enhanced sanitizing efforts and social distancing remain in effect for all sales and donations teams.
- In order to keep our operations moving forward to provide families with safe, stable and affordable housing, our Calgary build sites will remain open, with staff only and a reduced number of people on site at one time.
- Every person on site has been asked to practice social distancing and safe hygienic practices.
- In accordance with AHS recommendations anyone feeling ill is asked to stay home and self-isolate.
- Our upcoming Information Sessions for April and May have been cancelled.
- Families in Calgary who meet the basic qualification through our Eligibility Quiz now have the option of watching an Online Information Session.
- Our upcoming Volunteer Welcome Session has been cancelled. Please check back to see when the next one will be available.
- All volunteer shifts on our construction sites, Calgary ReStores, and office are cancelled until April 6.
- We will continue to monitor the situation and adjust these dates, as needed.
- All Build Days have been postponed until further notice.
- When we are able to offer this team-building experience again, we will be in touch with groups to reschedule.
- Our 50/50 Raffle Fundraiser will be extended until June 5, with a new draw date of June 15.
- Online sales will continue, but we will not have tables set up at other external sites.
Medicine Hat Steak Dinner and Silent Auction Fundraiser
- As of March 17, the steak dinner, silent auction, and WestJet raffle draw has been postponed until further notice. Anyone who has purchased a raffle ticket will be contacted personally.
Good Health Practices
Please remember, if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms (mild or severe), we ask you not go out into the community, including our office, ReStores, construction sites or other facilities.
Our team members will be enforcing these restrictions on everyone for the safety of us all:
- Difficulty breathing/shortness of breath
OR if you have:
- Cold, flu, or other illness
- If you or someone you live with has travelled outside of Canada
- You have a compromised immune system, underlying medical conditions, heart disease, age 65+
In addition to all of these measures, staff and volunteers who have travelled or have family members who have travelled will not be allowed to come to work until 14 days of self-isolation are complete.
During this time of uncertainty, we thank you for your ongoing support of our work in in the community.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will keep you updated as it evolves.
Wishing you all good health and if you have questions or concerns, please get in touch.